Assignment: Make a book about astronauts
Resources we used:
- This month’s Institute for Creation Research magazine featured a Christian astronaut. A great read and great discussion starter.
- Draw * Write * Now – step by step instructions on how to draw a rocket.
- AWANAS – in our T&T handbook, there were jokes about outer space as well as an excerpt about a Christian astronaut.
- Scripture – Psalm 8, Genesis 1
- Movie Apollo 13
- Magic School Bus episode about Space
- Midnight on the Moon, by Mary Pope Osborne, from the Magic Tree House series
- YouTube videos from Apollo 11 landing on the moon
- Neil Armstrong: Young Flyer, by Montrew Dunham, from the Childhood of Famous Americans series
My daughter wrote out a Bible verse, drew a picture of a rocket, cut out pictures from the ICR magazine, wrote a few sentences with her own illustration of the astronauts, and drew a picture of the moon with a flag on it.
Other ideas that we have used in the past that relate to this week:
- Make a moon chart – we made a calendar and observed the moon for a month to see how it changes from day to day.
- The poem “The Moon” by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Conversations about the Moon