1. First I must familiarize myself with the historical Biblical events.
- Abraham (also known as Abram)
- Jacob (known also as Israel)
2. Define some terms for your child.
- Where in the Bible is Creation? Genesis
- Who is the Creator? God
- What does “the Fall” mean? when Adam and Eve sinned, all sin afterward
- What was the Flood? Who was spared? God sent a flood as judgment over sin; God spared 8 people: Noah, his wife, his three sons, and their wives and also 2 (or 7) of every kind of animal.
- What happened at the tower of Babel? God confused the languages to stop the people from building the tower.
- Who are the patriarchs? Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
- What does exodus mean? Leaving (it’s when the Israelites left Egypt and were no longer slaves)
- Who led the Israelites during the exodus and desert wandering? Moses
- What does Israelite conquest mean? The Israelites fight against the pagans living in the Promised Land of Canaan and take the land as their own.
- Who were the kings during Israel’s United Kingdom? Samuel, David and Solomon
Note: asking these questions and answering them with your child is only a short conversation, but makes huge connections for your child. You don’t need a fancy Bible curriculum or a workbook or craft supplies or songs or anything. (This assumes that you and your child do take time to study the Bible in some form, through church, devotions, etc. These questions build on the Bible knowledge already present to make connections.)
I have created some Timeline Conversation Starters. These are printables with some of the above questions, with Scripture to go along. There are 3 pages, with 4 each page. Cut them out and put them into a 4×6 photo flip book. Then, you have these handy for Timeline/Bible discussions.
Subscribe below for FREE cycle 1 resources, including Timeline Conversation Starters and Tin Whistle Music (and more to come!)!!
Also, have your student try the online Timeline related Bible quiz.
3. Go into more depth on one (or more) of these Bible topics.
You want to learn all the judges names? Try this song from “What’s in the Bible with Buck Denver?”
For another resource, check out my blog post from when my kids were preschoolers on using a coloring book that walks through the Old Testimony.