43 “For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit, 44 for each tree is known by its own fruit. For figs are not gathered from thornbushes, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush. 45 The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks. Luke 6:43-45
Is it easy to spot a dead or dying tree? When its all by itself, sure, no problem. But what about in the midst of the woods, surrounded by the growing branches of other trees? Not so easy, is it? The ones not bearing fruit can just blend into the woods. However, if you are out looking for the fruit, ready to bring in a harvest, you will quickly take notice of which trees are producing. You can tell the type of tree by what it produces, whether is is acorns, pecans, apples, or pears. A bad (or dying tree) will not produce a good harvest of fruit or nuts for you.
I’ve been convicted lately on a personal level about my speech. Does everything I say glorify God? So, my natural tendency to combat this sin would be to retreat to my quietness. That is easy for me – just be quiet in a group – then I’m not sinning with my speech. However, the true solution is to be changed inwardly. That whatever is in my heart will come out of my mouth. The inward change comes first.
So, back to the plants, whatever the plant is nourished with will show forth later – whether good or bad. Also, the plant will produce what the type of fruit natural to that plant. A person will produce bad fruit apart from Christ, but if you are made new in Christ, you will produce the fruit of being a Christian. Then, the more we abide in Him, the more good fruit naturally comes out.
- Identify trees from the fruit, flowers, nuts or leaves.
- Collect samples of leaves, berries, etc. Draw them or press them.
- Take note of particular trees. Are they healthy? How can you tell?
- Look about pruning trees or bushes. How can cutting a tree actually make it healthier? Read John 15 for some spiritual insights.
- Celery and Food Coloring Experiment
- Try another experiment to discover how toxins in the soil affect the plant or how good nutrients affect the plant.